Beignets with Red Grapefruit and Honey Sauce
Get ready to celebrate Mardi Gras and enjoy some beignets straight from your own kitchen! These light and fluffy pastries are sprinkled with confectioner’s sugar and served with a sweet and simple red grapefruit and honey sauce for dipping.
SERVINGS: 24 (48 beignets)
TIME TO TABLE:
20 minutes prep, 6 hours resting, 45 minutes frying.
1 packet active dry yeast (2 ¼ teaspoons)
1 cup warm water (110 to 115 degrees F)
1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup low fat milk
1 large egg, beaten
¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
Zest of 1 Paramount Citrus red grapefruit
½ teaspoon salt
5 to 5 ½ cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
1 to 1 ½ quarts vegetable or peanut oil for frying
Confectioner’s sugar for dusting
3 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons fresh Paramount Citrus red grapefruit juice
1. Stir together the warm water, bloomed yeast and 1 tablespoon of sugar in a small bowl. Let sit until the yeast blooms, about 5 minutes.
2. In the bowl of a mixer fitted with a dough hook, add the yeast, remaining 1/3 cup of sugar and milk. Mix on low. Add the egg and mix on medium for about 20 seconds.
3. With the mixer on medium, add the cooled, melted butter, grapefruit zest and salt.
4. Slowly add the flour 1 cup at a time. The dough should pull away from the bowl, but still be slightly sticky.
5. Transfer the dough to a greased bowl. Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours, but up to 24 hours.
6. When ready to fry the beignets divide the dough in half and roll one half to ¼ inch thickness on a floured surface. Cut in rectangles about 1 ½ inches by 2 inches. Repeat with the remaining half of dough.
7. Add the oil to a 4 to 5 quart Dutch oven or similar pot to fill 3 inches. Heat to 360 to 365 degrees F.
8. Fry the beignets 5 to 6 at a time, depending on the size of your pot. Be careful not to overcrowd the pot. Fry for about 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and cooked through.
9. Drain on a platter lined with paper towels to absorb the oil. Sprinkle with powder sugar.
10. To make the sauce, whisk the honey and grapefruit juice together.
11. Serve warm with the dipping sauce.